The Borgo, the history.
The birth of Ficarra mixes history and legend.
The Count Ruggero di Sicilia cites the fief of Ficarra in 1082.
The present country was born around a Saracen fortress. Under the Normans, the Nebrodi center served as a hunting reserve for the barons.
The widow of Frederick II of Swabia, Macalda di Scaletta, with her second husband Alaimo da Lentini, became the owner of the fief of Ficarra.
Fallen in disgrace, Macalda and Alaimo lost the fief and after a brief passage to Ruggero di Lauria, the King of Sicily assigned it to the Lancia di Brolo or LAnza di Brolo.
The last heir of the Lanza was Antoninella who married Giuseppe Piccolo and had 4 children: Ninella Agata, Giacinto, Antonino and Girolamo.
Girolamo became a priest, Antonino and Angela did not get married, Giacinto married Margheritella Cultraro.
The Lancia ruled the country until 1738 when Girolamo III Lancia di Brolo had to auction the barony Ficarra.
The Small, the Milio and the Busacca built the buildings in the center of the country and the hunting lodges in the countryside, which today are preserved intact.
The Municipality purchased the Milio and Busacca buildings and today they are home to various contemporary exhibitions.
The fief of Grenne, hunting lodge of the Piccolo went in succession to Giacinto Piccolo married to Francesca Milio from whose marriage Giuseppe was born.
Giuseppe married Francesca Artale in 1962 and their children Francesca, Alessandra and Giacinto today manage the family heritage, including the homonymous agritouristic company created in 1994
MUSEUM - VILLAGE OF THE MARIONETTE
The scenographies, the costumes, the materials and the marionettes were imagined and built in five years of work in the Roman studio of Maestro Gianpistone, with a group of privileged students including many disabled people. The work saw the light in 1988 at the festival of the two worlds of Spoleto, in the year 2010, the museum was set up and presented in a provisional capacity at the Ficarra's tent.
The Museum is located in the church of San Marco and in an adjacent space.
Ficarrese Museum of Emigration of the Nebrodi
The Ficarrese Museum of Emigration of the Nebrodi, still under construction, tells through stories of recovered material and testimonies collected, the events of the migratory experience that have affected large sections of the population.
THE SILK ROOM - MUSEO PALAZZO MILIO
In a context where contemporary languages increasingly resemble a tower of Babel, "the Silk Room" with the continuous activity of artist residences, focuses on the rigor of language that starts from meditation / interaction with a place and its inhabitants . Genius loci, which for the artist becomes an occasion for contamination, regeneration and production.
CASA DEL BACO
The importance that the ancient art of silkworm breeding has covered in the territory of Messina is now witnessed by the "Casa del baco" Museum, custodian of this wise tradition practiced by the population of Ficarra until the end of the 40s.
MUSEUM OF THE ARENARY STONE
The ancient tradition of stonemasons, present in most of the Nebrodi centers, is testified by the sandstone museum which is located in the territory of Ficarra. Always characteristic of the use of local sandstone, carved to obtain coats of arms and architectural decorations typical of houses dating from the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries. T.
MUSEUM OF GAMES AND MEDIEVAL TOY
Headquartered in the Carceraria Fortress, it is the first in Italy entirely dedicated to the play world of the Middle Ages, offering a complete panorama of what were the pastimes of the time. It is an "educational" Museum that houses artistic reproductions made on the basis of iconographic and literary sources.